Wednesday, January 16, 2008

So a very nice acquaintance of mine, on hearing of the latest of David's condition, said, "It is a test, you just have to look at it as a test." I tried to acknowledge her comment politely and move on, but she elaborated telling me that this was a test from God and I just need to have faith. I do know that the remark was meant kindly, but I can't wrap my head around it at all.

As it happens, I do have faith. After trying to be an atheist, I gave up. I caught myself refraining from talking to God, or rather, trying and failing to refrain from doing so. I gave it up as a lost cause. I believe in God. I also believe you can't prove God's existence. I don't believe this is due to anything to do with God, but rather, simple logic. Being all powerful doesn't sit well with the three basic laws of thermodynamics, which are:

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game.

As I see it, God is outside the normal system. He can do anything, including defy the laws of physics, so why bother to try?

In any case, I don't see what this is a test of. It makes it seem like God is the ultimate insecure sadist, who needs proof of your love after he tortures you. In a human such behavior would be rightly perceived as reprehensible. I suppose people don't hold God up to the same standards.

And what is the correct answer to this test? "Thank you Sir! May I have another?"

No comments: